- One in five workers (21%) let family and friends use company laptops and PCs to access the Internet.
- More than half (51%) connect their own devices or gadgets to their work PC.
- A quarter of these do so every day.
- Around 60% admit to storing personal content on their work PC.
- One in ten confessed to downloading content at work they shouldn’t.
- Two thirds (62%) admitted they have a very limited knowledge of IT Security.
- More than half (51%) had no idea how to update the anti-virus protection on their company PC.
- Five percent say they have accessed areas of their IT system they shouldn’t have.
I think the first one is the scariest, quickly followed by point 6 – 62% admitting they have limited knowledge of IT security. If I was a security administrator, this would concern me greatly. When you think about it though, the basic points which any employee using IT resources in an organisation should be aware of – anti-virus/OS updates and monitoring of internet usage – should be introduced at orientation or training days.
Employees should definitely not have the opportunity to say "I didn’t know about that" if something unexpected happens as a result of their tinkering or negligence.